Friday, February 8, 2008

The things that ail the education system

Any Indian would be familiar with the pivotal exams of one's academic life, the boards, entrance exams, and seemingly to a lot of the press, DU entrance exams. Bear in mind, that I'm from the north so forgive me if I focus on the region's torture chambers. Students go through hell to try and succeed at these tests, and they tend to become the focus of one's life for long periods of time. I have myself gone through some of these trials by fire, and emerged, on the surface unscathed and relatively successful. And I believe, this gives me an authority to comment on these milestone in academic life. I'm personally not a fan of these tests, because, contrary to what u might believe, these tests are not always the best indicators of 'intelligence' and are not designed by hallowed individuals who can do no wrong. Actually, once you get to the higher echelons, u realise that these tests are simply a reflection of what the people at the top of academia, feel, is necessary to succeed at a something. And the execution of their best laid plans are never something to be proud of. Which is why I feel there's something wrong, because these exams tend to stratify all test takers into atleast 2 categories, our lauded winners, and the forgotten losers, and so it's essential to ensure that everything right, cause u're scarring a child for life here.

Just the other day, I was reading in the papers, an article about cracking the boards, quoting last year's topper, a girl who'd scored somewhere around 97%(that's crazy marks man!). She told her formula for success was mugging up the entire NCERT books word to word, and vomiting them on the paper. Now, in computer science, this phenomenon is called a linear file traversal, i.e. u store stuff in a file (like a web page) and simply get the section that matches the stuff u're looking for, and outputting everything around it. That's a simple picture of how search engines work. Hmmm, so our tests reward being a computerized search engine, so where's the test of excellence and intelligence? It would seem our educators are turning a generation into mugging machines. But saying so would be sacriledge, anyone would agree to that.

Turning to entrance exams, I gave the engineering ones. It's quite well known that IIT's are the most reliable way to increase the quantum of ur first paycheck, which is what drives the 'best' minds there(forgive the sarcasm). problem is, that's how most students perceive it as an option. 14 years of training about the importance of mugging, doesn't quite develop a great love for any subject. Coupled with the livelihood issue, this compells the students to choose by money. And after 4 years, they choose money again, in this case, the best paying jobs, who's title has recently been taken over by investment banks, where astronomical amounts are promised to the top performers. Now this, expectedly irks the faculty, as their efforts in teaching are seemingly pointless, if u're gonna leave the field anyways. And the answer to the question of how to encourage the children to stick on, still eludes all. The problem is, the government expects IIT's to feed the growing IT industry with new computer science graduates. Problem is, the industry does little to improve it's image to fresh graduates. The pay is meagre, the job description is quite dismal, there's none of the intellectually challenging work u'd expect. Instead, the people they expect are coders, quite simply, they don't quite need ur analytical ability. That's like a frill, but that's not what they're shopping for. Which is why they lobby for 'vocational' training, aka make them coders. Ministers, then push faculty to make children go to these companies. This, interestingly, has resulted in a practice in a few IITs that some of you might find shocking, others quite right. It is to restrict the internships(and even jobs in some cases) to indian locations only, that too in companies. Now people expect that this would encourage the students to join these companies. But, if u're read Freakonomics, u'll appreciate this. After these measures, I saw even less people going to the IT sector in India. People going abroad for further studies also decreased, because now students don't have the recommendations of people from abroad, and no research project experience.

Interesting hmm? things at the premier institutes are not as hallowed as one would imagine. but the source of the problem lies at the roots, not here. The problem is, while earning a livelihood is an issue, people will choose money over everything else. Another problem is that, most people don't know anything about the branches of engineering u offer, how in hell do u expect children to choose then??!! or even have a semblance of interest, when choices are made purely on the basis of rank. so getting into textile imprints that stamp of being in a not so good branch. That obviously will hinder any further development.

More importantly, our system places quite too much importance on mugging and pure hard work. Not that it's bad, but the crux of engineering is to develop new solutions, you remember einstein and newton, because they gave solutions that no one else saw, solutions so simple, yet powerful. which is why, i feel, creativity is also essential for being successful, and even at a younger age, students must be encouraged to think creatively. because making someone mug up 21 points about Raja Ram Mohan Roy's contribution to society will not enthuse him to the actual impact of his work, showing him the impact will. because eventually, Roy will mean 21 points to him, not his work. I do understand this is hard work, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to fix. People usually counter with, why don't u do something to fix it, but understand this, I can show you a mirror, I'm not a plastic surgeon.

5 comments:

Spec123 said...

First of all. Well written. I must say the babble fish is not like other blogs just babbling like /etc/sys.log

On the high qualifying bars for "hallowed" univs
In a country where the supply of students is huge, institutions such as IITs/DU/IIMs need high qualifying bars. But what constitutes "high" bars? I too believe that mugging up NCERT books is no bar but bars depend on the requirements. The people, who value them, do indeed want such a workforce (whether by conscious action or unconscious that is a matter that they should ponder over). A system that prefers these “computerized system” shall indeed churn more of that variety. And if you see the job requirements of many BPOs and IT cos (well certainly not all of them) they indeed match this criterion I have put just now. I don't think such a qualification can gain them anything on the global stage and parents that give priority to these "exams" need to keep this aspect in mind as well. In the longer run, I think, these opposing forces will bring the net result out --whether it is the change in this "system" or an appreciation of it.
On new job preferences
Back in the days when I was at IIT we used to be "research minded" and an year internship at Bell or a PhD at Stanford was more important than a job at TCS. But as you pointed out IITs prefer the latter. I think these are the problems that any developing economy will face. It needs a suitable backbone before it churns out engineers that can design paper planes that can fly in space (google for this bit of news). Right now we need more manpower to reach that level. Maybe someday (another 20 years?) the mass can think at the level you (we) are thinking.

On I-Banks
Well I for one am not ready to buy the fact that I-banks are stealing from the field’s brain supply. What you nurture at IIT is not (just) a coder but an analyst. And any job that needs analyst will pay to get it. The faculty that believes that its students should work in the field need to re-value the rewards one gets from it (whether it is pay or intellectual simulation for one). Just a matter of demand and supply mate, says I.

apollo said...

Aah interesting, a tech interested person from iit. I agree about the ibanks point, it's a free world after all, but not quite with the new preferences. freedom of choice is something that sets the iit's apart from others, if that's taken away, and someone's perception of the right thing is enforced, it takes a lot away. cause not having a foreign internship takes away a lot of options, like foreign jobs, further studies among others. I hope things change, and for the better.

Nice to know thought that someone reads my rantings :D

The Happy One said...

Gud job my friend.......

Just to strengthen the research projects point that u presented, I wud like to add another anomaly.

The govt says IITs are not producing that many world class papers in international journals as compared to MIT and other top class engineering colleges.

This looks a bit wierd at first because we have the best brains in India and India does not lag intellectually as well. So where is the problem?
What I felt before my BTP(B. Tech. Project) was that I should take up a research based project that will help me make full use of my analytical abilities. Then the thought of grades came to my mind. I asked myself whether I will get a good grade in my BTP or not and found the answer clear in front of me. Implementation based projects clearly get better grades as they are able to show their "work", but research is not what you can show, there maybe affirmative results or there maybe results which dismiss certain possibilities or there may not be any result at all.
How do you showcase what you have thought?? Does it make a statement as strong as a working code??

There are many small things that are haywire but it is upto US(not United States) to bring things into place.

Chirag said...

Like Babble fish, Harpreet hit the nail on the head, citing an everyday happening to add credence to his point. Its some thing that I'm experiencing at this point in time, the great dilemma as to what to aim for in with BTP, a good grade or a good idea. The BTP is a manifestation of nearly all that one wants to do during his engineering, but it ends up becoming a victim of the system. My project guide made it very clear that I have to work on something that would lead to a working 'thing' at the end, and not on some arbit idea that I have in my head. The original intent of pursuit of knowledge has been lost in the new age synonym of intelligence - marks.

The Happy One said...

Completion of my comment:

I chose a research based project, still thinking that things can change sometimes. Just for a background I had a PhD thesis of a guy from MIT. Also one of my guides had his PhD in the same area but both were completely different viewpoints of the same problem, one theoretical and the other completely practical approach. My first semester was spent studying both the thesis which were in an area never hear of before and also an area in its infancy in terms of understanding. Then the final presentation of the first semester came and I was torn apart by the reaction of the committee towards my project. The final grade was B, but this was not the matter of concern. What shocked me was that one of the other groups got an A-, for just proposing to inte
grate freely available modules. This was heartbreaking, considering that semester this was the lowest grade I got.

Then this semester, just before our mid-term presentation I got together with my guides to discuss the presentation and then I knew I was the winner when both of them told me that I should not worry abt the grades as three out of 5 people in the committee didnt even understand what I was working on. The rest 2 were my guides.

Now I know that I am a winner and after demonstrating that the MIT thesis' theories can be implemented in my guides' thesis to provide a powerful improvement in the thesis.